Boeing airliner goes missing after take-off from Jakarta


Indonesia has launched a search operation after a Boeing 737-500 passenger jet operated by Indonesian carrier Sriwijaya Air lost contact soon after take-off from Jakarta.

Flightradar24, which tracks live air traffic around the world, shows that the nearly 30-year-old aircraft reached an altitude of 10,900ft before appearing to make a sharp turn and then plummeting to 250ft where contact was lost.

The plane was heading to Pontianak, the capital of Indonesia’s West Kalimantan province. 

Indonesian authorities confirmed that the plane had lost contact and said fragments had been found, although they could not confirm whether they were from flight SJ182. The search would begin Sunday morning when visibility was better, they said.

The airline could not be reached for comment.

Kompas TV, an Indonesian broadcaster, showed live images of local fishermen holding up cabling found in the water north of Jakarta. The fishermen had heard two explosions, the broadcaster said on its site. Reports said the aircraft was carrying 50 passengers.

The missing aircraft is a much older model than the 737 Max, which was involved in two fatal accidents in 2018 and 2019. It does not use the same systems which have been identified as contributing to those crashes in which 346 people died.

The aircraft was powered by two CFM56-3C1 engines, produced by General Electric and Safran joint venture CFM, according to the Aviation Safety Network.

Tracking data shows the path of the missing jet before contact was lost © AP

Boeing said in a statement that it was aware of reports that the aircraft had crashed. “We are aware of media reports from Jakarta and are closely monitoring the situation. We are working to gather more information,” the group said.

Saturday’s accident comes as Boeing attempts to rebuild its credibility after a Max aircraft operated by Indonesia’s Lion Air crashed in October 2018, killing 189 people. Five months later Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302 crashed killing 157 people.

This week Boeing agreed to pay $2.5bn to resolve a criminal charge of misleading federal aviation regulators over the safety of the 737 Max. The 737 Max was recertified for commercial flight in recent weeks after substantial software changes.

Thank you for dropping by My Local Pages and reading this news release about InterInternational and World Business Political updates titled “Boeing airliner goes missing after take-off from Jakarta”. This post is presented by MyLocalPages as part of our news aggregator services.

#Boeing #airliner #missing #takeoff #Jakarta



Source link

New York: Couple with dog flee moving plane using emergency slide as flight prepares for takeoff | US News



A plane preparing for takeoff was halted in New York after a Florida couple with their pet dog fled via an emergency slide, authorities say.

The incident took place on board an Atlanta-bound Delta flight as it was taxiing towards the runway at LaGuardia Airport.

Witnesses reported seeing an agitated-looking male passenger force open the front cabin door and jump out using the emergency chute.

He was quickly followed by his female companion who carried the Great Dane puppy.

Fellow flyer Brian Plummer said the pair, named by the airline as Antonio Murdock and Brianna Greco, had moved seats several times on the plane which was not full.

Murdock ignored an order from flight attendants to take a seat for takeoff and told them he was unable to sit still due to his post-traumatic stress disorder, Mr Plummer claimed.

“If I sit down, I’ll freak out,” the man said, according to Mr Plummer, the New York Times reported.

After the Monday morning incident involving Flight 462, the aircraft was forced to return to the gate where the other passengers got off and were later put on alternative flights.

Murdock, 31, and Greco, 27, were arrested and taken into custody on charges including criminal mischief and trespassing, among others.

Murdock was being detained while Greco was later released. The dog was being looked after by an animal shelter.

The incident recalled the 2010 case of Steven Slater, a JetBlue flight attendant who activated a chute during a tantrum on a plane landing at JFK Airport.

He went on the public address system, swore at a passenger who he claimed treated him rudely, grabbed a beer and slid down on to the tarmac.

Slater was sentenced to a year of probation after completing a court-ordered treatment programme.



Source link

Pilots eject from Super Hornet in aborted take-off at Amberley RAAF Base outside Brisbane


A $75 million Air Force jet has hit the runway during an aborted take-off at the Amberley RAAF Base outside Brisbane.

Witnesses have told the ABC they saw pilots eject from a F/A-18F Super Hornet as it was about to take off from RAAF Base Amberley.  

Photos from the scene suggest the Super Hornet has suffered some damage to its forward starboard fuselage.

Analysis of photos suggests the plane has a collapsed nosewheel, or the nosewheel is in a drain.

A Defence Department spokesperson said the aircrew of the aircraft were safe and no other personnel were involved in the incident.

The RAAF Super Hornet (circled) appeared to have crashed on the runway at RAAF base Amberley.(Supplied)

“Defence will provide more information once the immediate actions associated with the incident are completed.

“The cause of the incident is not known at this time and will be subject to investigation.”

The plan was taking off from south to north.

Plane only a decade old

Australia has 24 Boeing F/A-18F Super Hornets, based out of Amberley approximately 20km west of Brisbane.

They entered operation in December 2012 and have participated in a range of exercises and operations including Operation OKRA in the Middle East.

Defence says the Super Hornets “ensure that Australia’s air combat capability edge is maintained until the full introduction of the F-35A Lightning II”.

Australia is due to accept another 15 F-35s in 2021, as part of a $17 billion deal to eventually acquire 72 of the newer jets.

But the F-35 program has been beset by delays exacerbated by the pandemic.



Source link

Navy’s 1st batch of women pilots ready for take-off


Kolkata, Oct. 22 : The first batch of women pilots of the Indian Navy have been operationalized on Dornier aircraft by the Southern Naval Command (SNC) at Kochi. They are Lieutenant Divya Sharma from Malviya Nagar in New Delhi, Lieutenant Shubhangi Swaroop from Tilhar in Uttar Pradesh and Lieutenant Shivangi from Muzaffarpur in  Bihar.

The three women pilots were part of the six pilots of the 27th Dornier Operational Flying Training (DOFT) Course, who graduated as ‘Fully operational Maritime Reconnaissance (MR) Pilots’ at a passing out ceremony held at INS Garuda, Kochi on Thursday.

 

SNC Chief Staff Officer (Training) Rear Admiral Antony George presented awards to the pilots who are now fully qualified on Dornier aircraft for all operational missions.

These officers had initially undergone basic flying training partly with the Indian Air Force and partly with the Navy prior to the DOFT course. Amongst the three women pilots operationalized for MR flying, Lt Shivangi was the first to qualify as a naval pilot on December 2 last year.

The course comprised of one month of ground training phase which was conducted at various professional schools of the SNC and eight months of flying training at the Dornier Squadron of SNC, INAS 550. Lt Divya Sharma & Lt Shivam Pandey were adjudged ‘First in Flying’ and ‘First in Ground’ subjects, respectively.

 



Source link