Carly Jane Wren to be sentenced for criminal neglect after toddler son consumed the drug fantasy


An Adelaide mother “momentarily” neglected her toddler son when he unknowingly consumed fantasy after she left an open bottle of the illicit drug on her kitchen bench, a court has heard.

Carly Jane Wren, 35, is awaiting sentencing in the South Australian District Court after pleading guilty to one count of criminal neglect.

The court was told the boy got hold of an open bottle of GHB — commonly known as fantasy — which had been left on a kitchen bench at her Mount Torrens home in June.

Prosecutor Donna Foundas told judge Ian Press that the neglect related to Wren’s failure to keep an eye out for her son, who climbed up on a stool to get the bottle.

“She has turned her attention away from the bottle containing the substance and her son in order to answer her phone,” she said.

Bill Boucaut QC, for Wren, told the court his client did not leave her son unattended in the kitchen but answered the phone in the same room where the incident occurred.

“The neglect was very short-lived,” he said.

He submitted that Wren’s decision to turn away and answer her phone happened “almost instantaneous” to the moment her son climbed on the kitchen bench to grab the drugs.

Carly Jane Wren’s toddler son consumed the drug fantasy after it was left on a bench.(Supplied: Facebook)

“It happened very, very quickly and as soon as that was noticed, she took immediate steps to rectify the situation — she did not try to hide it,” he said.

He said she acted in the “best interests of the child” by immediately washing his mouth with orange juice, and as soon as he developed symptoms, she called an ambulance.

The court heard the boy was admitted to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital, where authorities became involved.

“She’d been a recreational drug user with a drug problem for a number of years, but was always caring of the children — always putting their needs at the very forefront of her life.

“There’s no suggestion that she had been neglectful in any way at all with the children up until this very incident.”

Mr Boucaut said his client accepted that it was dangerous for her to leave drugs within reach of her children.

Ms Foundas accepted that the neglect was momentary and did not call for Wren to be jailed.

Judge Press will sentence Wren next month.



Source link

Mother of murdered Tumut toddler ‘devastated’ by Douglas James Wade being granted parole | The Border Mail


news, court-and-crime,

The mother of a toddler murdered in Tumut has been left “devastated” by the pending release of her child’s killer on parole. The NSW State Parole Authority (SPA) announced on Friday afternoon that Douglas James Wade would be released on “supervised parole” on December 15. Wade has spent more than 31 years in jail for the sexual assault and murder of a 22-month-old girl he was babysitting in Tumut in 1988. Victim advocate Howard Brown, who represented the toddler’s family at the parole hearings in Sydney, told The Daily Advertiser that the family disagreed with the decision to grant parole. “To say [the toddler’s mother] was devastated would be an understatement,” Mr Brown said. “It’s a very difficult decision and we have been working really hard to ensure Mr Wade is not released until such time was we believe he is fit to be released. “We disagree with the [SPA]. The Authority appears to be of the view that there is nothing further they can do with him whilst in custody and they hope that when he is out in the community they will be able to work on any issues that arise. “I just think it’s a huge gamble.” Wade, now aged 57, pleaded not guilty at trial but was sentenced to life in prison in 1989 for killing the 22-month-old girl he was babysitting. His sentence was later reduced to a minimum of 26 years on appeal in 2013. The victim and her family cannot be named for legal reasons. Border bounce back from COVID is off and running already Border cafes survived pandemic and they’re looking to thrive Former O&M star midfielder joins Hume leage club as co-coach As part of the conditions of his parole, Wade will not be able to set foot in the Snowy Valleys Council local government area and the township of Tumut. Mr Brown said the victim’s family did not have any avenue to appeal the parole decision and any such action would have to be taken by the government. “At least [Wade] will have employment as part of parole. With employment, there is a level of distraction which would be a disincentive for him to go back to his old ways,” Mr Brown said. “Employment is a well-directed way in assisting in rehabilitation because people are distracted by maintaining employment.” The SPA said it considered extensive evidence, advice and reports in making the parole decision, including but not limited to the advice of the Serious Offenders Review Council recommending release to parole. The parole authority was also handed reports of escorted external leave advising that since 2017, Wade completed 36 episodes of weekend and 34 day leaves as a test of his “staged reintegration into the community”. “The SPA determined the safety of the community was best served by ordering the offender to complete the remainder of his sentence on parole, under the supervision and monitoring of Community Corrections,” an SPA spokesperson said. Mr Brown said he could understand the rationale behind granting Wade parole now, rather than when his full sentence was complete, as the authority would not be able to require supervision under a full release. “[The SPA] is driven by a principle, with which I agree, as does the family, that it is far better to release a person with supervision than without supervision,” Mr Brown said. “But our view is that there is still three-and-a-half years of the sentence outstanding, we could spend more time psychologically with Mr Wade to prepare him for reintegration with the community. “When there is a 12-month period left on his sentence, then you release him with the same conditions as set out by the parole authority, and if the proves to be insufficient time, you then seek an extended supervision order to continue to supervision beyond the sentence.” Mr Brown said there was a “flaw” in the Crimes (Administration of Sentences) Act that prevented the SPA from considering the possibility of an extended supervision orders being used to monitor or detain offenders after their release from custody. “What I believe that really needs to occur is for the government to get off their backsides and change the law so that the parole authority can take into account the possibility of subjecting a prisoner to either an extended supervision order or a continuing detention order,” he said. “The flaw does not lie with the State Parole Authority but with the legislation that controls the authority.”

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/rex.martinich/e462cdb7-642a-4d5a-b86a-ed0a61dd6c5c.jpg/r0_0_1023_578_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg





Source link

Douglas James Wade granted parole after murder and sexual assault of Tumut toddler in 1988 | The Border Mail


news, court-and-crime,

The State Parole Authority has granted a supervised release to Douglas James Wade, who sexually assaulted and murdered a Tumut toddler in 1988, following a decision yesterday. Wade will be released from the Kirkconnell Correctional Centre near Bathurst on December 15. The State Parole Authority (SPA) considered Wade’s application for parole in late August, but reserved its decision until an announcement yesterday afternoon. Wade, now aged 57, pleaded not guilty at trial but was sentenced to life in prison in 1989 for killing the 22-month-old girl he was babysitting. His sentence was later reduced to a minimum of 26 years on appeal in 2013. The victim and her family cannot be named for legal reasons. As a result of the reduction of sentence on appeal, Wade was eligible for parole from August 2014. Wade has been denied parole on five previous occasions, with the latest unsuccessful attempt following a hearing in January last year, but he has previously been allowed day release. “The offender will be released to supervised parole on December 15 with conditions, including electronic monitoring and with exclusion zones for the local government areas of Snowy Valley (Tumut), Yass Valley, Queanbeyan Pelarang Regional Council,” a State Parole Authority spokesperson said. Following a parole review hearing on August 21, the State requested the matter be reopened to allow Community Corrections to submit revised post-release accommodation plans for the offender, which delayed the SPA’s determination. The SPA said it considered extensive evidence, advice and reports in making the parole decision, including but not limited to the advice of the Serious Offenders Review Council recommending release to parole. The parole authority was also handed reports of escorted external leave advising that, since 2017, Wade completed 36 episodes of weekend and 34 day leaves as a test of his “staged reintegration into the community”. The decision was also based on Wade’s “successful completion of all available therapeutic programs to address his offending” and “willingness to comply with ongoing intervention and treatment in the community”. “The SPA determined the safety of the community was best served by ordering the offender to complete the remainder of his sentence on parole, under the supervision and monitoring of Community Corrections,” the SPA said. Howard Brown, who has represented the victim’s family at parole hearings, was not available to comment before publication.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/e8uBJxuTc2fGAziDArmhm5/9fec0a77-e3ea-4e76-996f-f0085364e755.jpg/r1_0_619_349_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

BREAKING





Source link

Two people charged with manslaughter after Townsville toddler found dead in car


Police have charged two people with manslaughter after a three-year-old girl was found dead in a car in Townsville earlier today.

Police were notified around 3.30pm after a 37-year-old Burdell woman and 29-year-old Burdell man took the girl to Townsville University Hospital.

A crime scene was established and preliminary investigations indicate the toddler was left inside a locked vehicle for most of the day.

Police have charged two people with manslaughter after a three-year-old girl was found dead in a car in Townsville earlier today (Nine)

A nurse from the hospital was the first to raise the alarm.

A police statement said police and detectives from the Child Protection and Investigation Unit were called to the scene “in relation to a child”.

9News understands that police believe the child may have been in the car since school drop-off in the morning, and was only discovered when it came to pick-up time.

Temperatures in Townsville reached well above 30C today.

The 37-year-old woman and 29-year-old man were subsequently charged and are due to appear before the Townsville Magistrates Court tomorrow.

The investigation remains ongoing.



Source link

Two children killed, toddler critical as car crashes into Wyaralong Dam in south-east Queensland


Two children, aged five and 13, have died after a car crashed into the water at Wyaralong Dam, near Beaudesert in south-east Queensland.

A six-month-old baby, a one-year-old toddler and two adults are in hospital.

The toddler is in a critical condition.

Queensland Police Inspector Douglas McDonald said the two adults and four children were in a Land Rover Discovery when it crossed onto the wrong side of the road and broke through a road barrier, rolling down an embankment before ending up on its roof in the dam.

Passers-by, including two off-duty doctors and a critical care paramedic on a day off, helped pull people out of the submerged car.

“It’s a tragic and confronting scene,” Inspector Douglas said.

Rescue helicopters have transported patients to hospital.(ABC News)

“It’s absolutely tragic for the family.

“It was fantastic work [by the passers-by] to help rescue the occupants. Their actions were pivotal in making sure this wasn’t worse.

“At this stage, the vehicle is still submerged, police divers attending.

“It’s relatively shallow. The vehicle is on its roof. The wheels can be seen above water.

“We expect to be here until this evening conducting investigations.”

Three rescue helicopters and more than a dozen emergency vehicles attended the incident, which happened about 2:00pm near the Overflow Estate Winery.

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.
A police car flipped over while rushing to the scene.

One police vehicle flipped as it rushed to the scene, but no officers were hurt.

The two adults in the Land Rover — a woman in her 30s and a man in his 20s — were transported to the Princess Alexandra Hospital by road. Both suffered leg injuries.

The one-year-old had to be sedated before being flown to hospital, having become agitated after receiving CPR.

Mark Nugent, a senior operations supervisor from the Queensland Ambulance Service, said the actions of the passers-by helped save lives.

“The six-month-old was removed from the water. There was no CPR [done] on that little one and they were conscious the whole time,” he said.

“The emergency response was exceptionally good.”

Police said they expected the road to be closed until at least 8:00pm.



Source link

How to I explain COVID to my toddler? AWH resilience podcast four | The Border Mail


news, local-news,

How do you explain a global pandemic to a two-year-old? It’s a question Albury Wodonga Health clinicians have answered for many parents this year. And on World Children’s Day, a podcast will help families understand the impacts of COVID-19. Senior psychologist and infant mental health co-ordinator Connie Cudini and occupational therapist Louise Scheidl discuss child development and early prevention in the episode. Ms Scheidl, also a health promotions officer, said AWH’s well-being and resilience podcast series helped raise the profile of child and adolescent mental health. Previous podcasts: “It’s like anything that’s complex [explaining COVID-19] – as a parent, we try to drill it down to the essential of what’s going to impact the little one,” she said. “It’s about acknowledging things could be a bit scary, but reminding them of the safety around them. “Generally speaking, people really don’t ever consider little babies as having mental health. “They way they express themselves is through their behaviour. “That’s where we may be able to help parents understand what might be causing certain behaviours. “If they notice changes … it is worth going to talk to their maternal child nurse or their doctor.” The pandemic resulted in a drop in referrals of children and adolescents for support, with schools being closed, but Ms Cudini said demand had grown. “Anecdotally, I suspect we are the busiest we’ve been in a long time,” she said. “We have a lot of kids who have been quite isolated from their normal day-to-do preschools and kindergartens. “It’s about raising parents’ awareness that their little people have such a rich emotional world. “They can have anxiety, depression and sleep disorders. “Any kind of early intervention is a fantastic way of supporting your kids.” Ms Cudini said for some families, COVID-19 had been positive. “[Some are] suddenly in the position to perhaps be with one another for the first time in a long time,” she said. “For some families that’s great, and it was easy and pleasant to do … but for some families it increased stress.” IN OTHER NEWS: Evelyn McDiarmid, herself a psychiatrist with Albury Wodonga Health and mum to six-week-old Noah, said it was important to remember that kids pick up on things. “If we’re really stressed about something, or we’re constantly watching the news, kids are acutely aware of that,” she said. “Being able to monitor and look after our own emotions is really important too.” Find the podcast on Albury Wodonga Health’s website.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/ellen.ebsary/1976bfa0-2839-46d6-a8d7-07102435342c.jpg/r297_484_4468_2841_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg





Source link

Toddler killed by family car at Mount Jagged and SA Police investigate Adelaide hit-and-run



Police are searching for a driver who allegedly hit a pedestrian in Adelaide’s CBD.

The search comes as Major Crash officers investigate how a toddler was struck and killed by a four-wheel-drive south of the city, in a separate incident.

Police are looking for the driver of a blue Holden Commodore sedan that allegedly struck a pedestrian near the Adelaide Railway Station on North Terrace in the city at about 4:20am and drove off.

The 21-year-old man was taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Officers believe the driver and his car were involved in an assault at Morphett Street and are investigating possible links between the two cases.

Meanwhile, police are investigating the circumstances of the death of a 17-month-old girl who was struck by her family’s car at a Mount Jagged property on the Fleurieu Peninsula about 3:45pm yesterday.

She died at the scene despite efforts from paramedics.

Major Crash officers are investigating the crash.



Source link

‘Hero’ 11-year-old rescues toddler who was struggling in the sea | UK News


A proud mum has said her “hero” son is “taking it all in his stride” after rescuing a toddler who was struggling in the sea.

Eli Harrison rescued the child in the harbour near his home in the village of Staithes, North Yorkshire.

The 11-year-old told Sky News: “We were at the middle pier and we started walking towards the smaller one because you get cut off by the tide.

“And then when we got on to the little pier – my dad shouted ‘there’s a kid drowning’ so I jumped in and saved him and swam back to the beach.”

Image:
The toddler got into trouble in the water in Staithes, North Yorkshire

Eli added that he wasn’t afraid and jumped in the water as soon as he realised there was a problem.

His mother Kayleigh said Eli still does not think he has done anything special despite everyone saying he is a hero.

She added: “Eli is amazing, we’re really proud of him, we’re so happy that the little boy is okay. It would be nice if we knew who he was, but he must have just been a visitor for the day.

“Eli is taking it all in his stride, he’s just doing what anybody else would have done at the time.”

Mrs Harrison said she had gone down to the beach to watch the tide coming in on Friday 7 August with her husband, Ian, and their three children – Eli, his elder brother Billy and younger sister Gypsie-Rose.

They spotted the small child floating among the boats about 33ft (10m) away.

Mrs Harrison said Eli swam to the shore with the little boy, who was hanging on to a fishing net and had been out of sight of his parents for just a “split second”.

She continued: “(Eli) is a hero… he just says ‘I did what anyone else would have done, Mum’.

“He still thinks that going around saving people is quite normal.”

Eli Harrison, pictured with his parents Ian and Kayleigh, jumped in the sea to save a toddler
Image:
Eli Harrison, pictured with his parents Ian and Kayleigh, jumped in the sea to save a toddler

The family of the rescued child gave Eli £10 and the toddler is understood to have fully recovered.

Eli said he spent the money on sweets.

Healthcare assistant Mrs Harrison said Eli has lived in Staithes all his life and loves everything to do with the sea.

She said: “He just wants people to remember not to take their eyes off their bairns because it all happened so quickly.”

Mrs Harrison said he is an “amazing swimmer” and would like to be a lifeboat volunteer when he is older.

She said his great-grandfather and grandfather were local fishermen and Eli has the sea “in his blood”.



Source link