Police hunting man who fled hotel quarantine in Toowoomba, Queensland


Police are hunting for a man who fled mandatory hotel quarantine in Queensland.

The 25-year-old returned from a declared coronavirus hotspot in New South Wales and entered quarantine at an accommodation facility in Toowoomba, west of Brisbane.

On the ninth day of his compulsory 14-day stay, the man left the hotel, a Queensland Police spokesperson said.

Police would not say when the breach occurred.

Nine News reports officers made the discovery while conducting a routine head count at the hotel in question this morning, although that is yet to be confirmed.

Queensland Police Minister Mark Ryan has told Parliament that police are taking the matter “very seriously”.

While the man isn’t considered a serious risk to public health, police have launched a major manhunt to locate him.

“The man received a negative COVID-19 test and is not considered a high community risk,” the police spokesperson said.

RELATED: Follow our latest coronavirus updates

Earlier this month, another Toowoomba man sparked controversy when he allegedly used a loophole to skip mandatory quarantine in the state.

He was a private security contractor working in Afghanistan and flew home to Sydney on July 27 and received a quarantine exemption after claiming he was a diplomat on official Commonwealth business, it’s alleged.

He flew from Sydney to the Sunshine Coast and then drove home to Toowoomba, where he remains in self-isolation.

Queensland remains on high alert after an uptick in cases in the state’s southeast earlier this month, sparked by three women who allegedly lied on their border declarations after holidaying in Melbourne.

They allegedly went about their business in the community for eight days, two of the women while infectious, resulting in the first instances of community transmission of COVID-19 since May.

More to come …



Source link

Queensland police issue amber alert for two kids missing from Toowoomba and travelling with woman


Queensland police have issued an amber alert for a young boy and girl who officers say may be at significant risk.

The children — and eight-year-old boy and a four-year-old girl — were last seen at Harristown, Toowoomba, at 11:50am yesterday.

Police have asked for urgent public assistance to find Casey Allwood and the two children.(Supplied: Queensland Police)

They are with 30-year-old Casey Allwood and travelling in a 1999 white Toyota Camry sedan with Queensland registration 759 KMD.

The woman is described as Caucasian, 160 centimetres tall with a slim build, blonde hair and brown eyes.

The boy is described as Caucasian, with blonde hair and blue eyes.

The girl is described as Caucasian with blonde hair.

The white car was last spotted travelling eastbound at Gatton at 12:20pm yesterday.

Police said Ms Allwood may be travelling south but also has connections in the Toowoomba and Bundaberg areas.

Amber alert
The white Toyota Camry has the Queensland registration 759 KMD.(Supplied: Queensland Police)



Source link