‘Murder hornets’ nest found in the US – here’s how scientists tracked them down | World News


Scientists have discovered the first nest of so-called “murder hornets” in the US.

Asian giant hornets can deliver painful stings to people and spit venom – but they are a bigger threat to honeybees that farmers rely on to pollinate their crops.

Experts hunted down the nest in Blaine, a city north of Seattle, by trapping the hornets and using dental floss to tie a tracking device to them.

Image:
A small group of hornets can kill an entire honeybee hive in hours

“Ladies and gentlemen, we did it,” a spokeswoman in Washington state said.

The nest, which is about the size of a basketball and contained 100 to 200 hornets, is going to be destroyed on Saturday.

Scientists suspect the nest was in the area since late last year, but it isn’t known how they arrived in North America.

Despite their nickname, the hornets kill at most a few dozen people a year in Asian countries.

More from Washington State

In contrast, hornets, wasps and bees typically found in the US kill an average of 62 people a year.

However, honeybees have good cause to worry – as a small group of the hornets can kill an entire hive in hours.

Asian giant hornets are normally found in China, Japan, Thailand, South Korea and Vietnam.

Washington state and the Canadian province of British Columbia are the only places the hornets have been found on the continent so far.

Thankfully, none have been reported in the UK.



Source link

How the FBI tracked the case






Source link

Report claims NHS test and trace app tracked down less than half of infected patients’ ‘contacts’


The NHS‘ flagship test and trace system tracked down less than half of positive patients’ ‘contacts’ in the first three days of its launch, figures suggested last night.

A leaked report claimed that virus sufferers had provided details of 4,634 people they might have infected, of whom just 1,749 were texted or emailed.

The Department of Health pointed out that the figures were four days out of date, insisting the majority of contacts had since been alerted. But the document obtained by Channel 4 News comes amid concerns that many of those employed by the scheme have had nothing to do.

The NHS’ flagship test and trace system tracked down less than half of positive patients’ ‘contacts’ in the first three days of its launch, figures suggested last night (File image of NHS tracing app) 

Test and trace was launched by Health Secretary Matt Hancock last Thursday. He hailed it as a ‘new way of life’ that would enable the country to come out of lockdown.

Anyone with virus symptoms is urged to order a test and if the results are positive, they are asked for the mobile phone numbers or email addresses of their recent contacts.

This includes people with whom they had spent at least 15 minutes at a distance of less than two metres – in the two days before the symptoms began and five days after.

A government diagram explained how the NHS Test and Trace system works

A government diagram explained how the NHS Test and Trace system works 

These contacts are then texted or emailed and asked to self-isolate for up to 14 days.

Yesterday the Government launched a major information campaign on the scheme with TV, radio and online adverts.

And on Monday, Mr Hancock claimed the system was ‘working well’, although he repeatedly refused to provide figures for the number of people who had been traced. 

But Baroness Harding, who is leading the programme, reportedly told MPs last week she did not expect the system to be properly up and running until the end of this month due to likely teething problems.

The Government is hoping to publish up-to-date figures this week, then weekly updates thereafter, once it has confidence in the data.

Department of Health officials stressed that many patients with the virus were not suitable for contact tracing because they were in hospitals or care homes.

Up to 25,000 contact tracers have been hired alongside 3,000 clinical case workers. They earn between £10 and £27 an hour, depending on their expertise.

But three contact tracers told the Mail earlier this week that they had not made a single call. Another claimed she had spent much of her time reupholstering a chair because she had so little to do.

Hancock under fire over his figures 

Matt Hancock has become embroiled in a public row with the country’s top statistician over testing figures.

Sir David Norgrove accused the Government of misleading the public with its daily testing figures, saying they are ‘still far from complete and comprehensible’.

Matt Hancock has become embroiled in a public row with the country’s top statistician over testing figures

Matt Hancock has become embroiled in a public row with the country’s top statistician over testing figures

It is the second time the UK Statistics Authority chairman has hit out at the way Covid-19 tests are being presented. Sir David said it was ‘not surprising’ the data had been ‘widely criticised and often mistrusted’. Health Secretary Mr Hancock responded by saying he would publish details of how the 200,000 tests would be counted.

The Government has hit targets to have the capacity for 200,000 tests by the end of May. But in a letter to No 10, Sir David said: ‘The aim seems to be to show the largest possible number of tests, even at the expense of understanding.’

A Department of Health spokesman said: ‘Our approach throughout has been to increase transparency.’

On Monday it was revealed scores of the 25,000 employees hired by the Government had come forward to say they have had no positive cases allocated to them since the launch, with one even suggesting there was a fault with the system. 

Contact tracers say the system remains ‘shambolic’ and unfit for purpose as millions of pupils return to school today. Workers last week also complained they hadn’t had any training by the time it launched and had waited weeks for log-in details. 

Details of those who test positive are passed to a company called Sitel, which is running the track and trace handling across the UK.

Agents read from a prepared script when they are given the name and telephone number of a person who has been diagnosed with Covid-19. 

They ask for the details of friends and family the infected person has come into contact with during the previous two weeks. 

The tracing agent then makes contact with those on their list and informs them they have to self-isolate. 

One tracer said colleagues who were on shift were ‘sitting there all day waiting and just refreshing their screens’. He said: ‘They’ve got nothing to do.’  

One of the 3,000 clinical case workers hired by Public Health England said she had completed three four-hour shifts, at £27-an-hour, but hadn’t made any calls yet. She told The Times: ‘I have had absolutely nothing to do.’ 

The nurse said she had seen ‘zero cases’ on the system throughout three shifts and felt ‘tremendously guilty about doing the shifts and being paid and not having anything to do really’.

‘It’s very obviously not ready,’ she said. ‘Something is not working between CTAS and the test results that are coming in.’

A Department of Health spokesman said: ‘These figures are outdated and fail to reflect the huge amount of work already under way, with thousands of people already contacted in just a matter of days and their contacts successfully traced.

‘We are working with the UK Statistics Authority to finalise the most useful information to publish on its performance and will be providing weekly updates shortly.’



Source link

Source of Queensland’s latest coronavirus case yet to be tracked down


One new case of coronavirus has been confirmed in Queensland overnight, but authorities are yet to confirm the source, the Health Minister says.

There are now 53 active cases of COVID-19 in the state with the majority concentrated in South East Queensland. 976 patients have recovered.

“The new case is in the southern suburbs of Brisbane and contact tracing is underway,” Steven Miles said.

“Our team from the Metro South public health unit are working with that individual right now to identify how they may have come in contact with the virus.” Mr Miles said.

“It’s not as straightforward as some of the others, so it’s not as simple for us to supply that information right away.”

He said the Government hoped to have more information by tomorrow.

“Just one more case [and] very, very low numbers as we aimed to do, we have flattened that curve quite dramatically,” Mr Miles said.

“Forty-six of the active cases are in the south-east.

“In Cairns, there’s four active cases, Townsville [has] two active cases, Wide Bay [has] just one, and the other regions have no active cases, which is just fantastic news for so many regions of Queensland.”

Nine people remain in hospital, with four of those in intensive care.

‘Victims of our own success’

Thousands of COVID-19 tests have been conducted in Queensland this week, but the Health Minister says there are not enough sick people to be able to increase those numbers.

“The challenge is that with very low levels of COVID-19 infection, very low levels of the flu, there’s actually a very small number of Queenslanders with any respiratory symptoms making them eligible to be tested,” he said.

“It’s a very fortunate position to be in but in some ways, in terms of our testing rate, it means we’re the victims of our own success.

“There’s only so many people out there that we can test.

“We do want to continue to expand testing … so we can have a high level of confidence that we’re picking up a large proportion of our cases.”

Mr Miles said he was told by the Chief Health Officer last week that COVID-19 cases were higher than flu cases.

“Very few Queenslanders are suffering from those kind of viruses that are spread between [each other], thanks to social distancing,” he said.

The Virus: We could be in for an ‘early mark’ on physical distancing measures



Source link