Melbourne Cup 2020, result, winner, Twilight Payment: Jockey Jye McNeil, father watches race from tractor


They say that it’s the race that stops the nation.

But it’s hard to stop hay baling — apparently — even when your son is riding to glory.

Jockey Jye McNeil rode Twilight Payment home to Melbourne Cup glory on Tuesday, holding off Tiger Moth to give owner Lloyd Williams his seventh race win.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Dad’s watching from a tractor

0:31



Source link

After Punjab, Rahul Gandhi To Hold Tractor Rallies In Haryana On October 6, 7


Rahul Gandhi will hold the rallies in Kurukshetra and Karnal districts of Haryana.

Chandigarh:

After Punjab, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi will visit Haryana on October 6 and 7 to hold tractor rallies against the recently enacted agriculture laws, with the opposition party holding a meeting on Sunday in connection with the event.

Mr Gandhi will hold the rallies in Kurukshetra and Karnal districts of the state, party leaders said.

The Congress leader, who arrived in Punjab on Sunday for a three-day visit to lead a series of tractor rallies against the Centre”s farm laws, will on October 6 lead a tractor rally which will enter Haryana, they said.

Congress’ Haryana unit held a meeting of party MLAs and senior leaders in Delhi to take stock of the preparations in connection with Mr Gandhi’s visit to the state.

Haryana Congress in-charge Vivek Bansal, state Congress president Kumari Selja, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh Hooda, and senior leaders Kiran Choudhary and Ajay Singh Yadav were also present in the meeting.

“His (Rahul Gandhi) visit will prove to be a milestone in the battle of farmers. On October 6 and 7, Rahul Gandhi will be on a two-day visit to Haryana. On the first day, his rally will enter Pehowa in Haryana from Punjab border. In Pehowa, he will address the people,” Ms Selja said.

“After this, Rahul Gandhi will go to Kurukshetra and halt there for the night. His journey will start from Pipli Mandi next morning from where he will proceed to Nilokheri and after that he will go to Karnal, where the tractor rally will culminate,” she said.

Selja said Rahul Gandhi and other Congress leaders have been raising the issues of farmers, workers and common people.

“Just as Rahul Gandhi and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra went to Hathras on Saturday and shared the grief and pain of the Dalit family, in the same way, he will come to the state to share the pain of farmers because the government does not have time to understand and discuss their sufferings,” she said.

Hooda said the new farm laws were not in the interest of farmers.

“Rahul Gandhi is coming to Haryana to protest against these black laws,” the former chief minister said.

Meanwhile, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Sunday said, “We have not received any intimation about his (Rahul”s) programme so far.”

The remarks come after Haryana Home Minister Anil Vij earlier said the Congress leader”s tractor rally will not be given permission to enter the state.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of an event in Karnal, the CM hailed the three farm laws as a “game changer”.

“Farmers are going to benefit in a big way,” he said.

Accusing the Congress of misleading farmers on the laws, Khattar said paddy and other crop procurement at minimum support price (MSP) was being smoothly done across the state.

“On the Citizenship Amendment Act and revoking of Article 370 and so many other issues, the Congress tired to mislead the people. But people soon realised that these steps were taken for their larger benefit keeping the country”s interests above all. Similarly, farmers have started realising that Congress is trying to use their shoulder to further their own interests,” he said.

Speaking in Sirsa, Haryana Deputy Chief Minister Dushyant Chautala said, “Rahul Gandhi does not understand the basics of agriculture and now he wants to hold protests on these three laws.”

“If journalists confront him and ask him about the three laws, he will not be able to tell about their benefits or losses. So, Congress is only doing politics over the issue and nothing else.

“It was during the Congress-led UPA regime that a five-member committee of chief ministers gave a report on open market access. Now, they are opposing the reforms brought by the Centre,” Chautala said.

He added that the central and state governments have taken many “historic decisions” in the interest of farmers and the work to double the farmers” income was being done earnestly.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)



Source link

Pleas for Government to save ‘priceless’ Australian tractor from US auction


Tractor enthusiasts are pleading with the Federal Government to help retrieve a “priceless tractor” that was wrongly allowed to be exported from Australia.

An EB model internal combustion tractor built in 1912 by the first Australian tractor makers, A.H McDonald, was listed for auction in the United States this week.

Experts believe under the Moveable Cultural Heritage Act 1986 it should never have been allowed to leave the country, and that the Government can and should have it repatriated.

“This is one of only two remaining in the world,” said John Edgar, a collector from Heywood in Victoria’s south-west.

“It is so unique, it so important to Australian engineering heritage.

A black and white photo of an old tractor in a field.
The EB140 tractor at work on French Island.(Supplied: John Edgar)

‘Crude, basic, priceless’

Mr Edgar and a group of tractor enthusiasts have been trying for months to get the Government to step in and stop the tractor’s sale.

Fewer than 20 EB tractors were made in Australia and the tractor in question, #140, was built for the Chilcot family on French Island, off Victoria’s coast.

It has sat in museums, appeared on covers of historical books and is believed to be in such good condition that it could be fired up and sent out into the field.

For collectors, its place in Australia’s history is unquestionable.

“It is the first type of tractor manufactured in this country with an internal combustion engine,” Mr Edgar said.

“They are very crude, very basic.

The tractor has a long and chequered history, having left Australia once before when it was bought by a collector in the UK.

It was repatriated after the legality its removal scrutinised, and Mr Edgar said it was frustrating that it had been exported again.

“We got motivated to find out, how did it come to be in America?” he said.

“Clearly it has been allowed to leave the country again.

“There is no argument — [the Government has] admitted a mistake was made by the parliament and they were going to do nothing to fix it up.

A green, steam engine lookalike, combustion tractor built in 1912 sits in a museum.
The EB140 tractor on display at a museum in Tanunda, South Australia, before it was taken overseas.(Supplied: John Edgar)

Department admits ‘error’

Communications and Arts Minister Paul Fletcher, who is responsible for Australia’s moveable cultural heritage, has been contacted for comment, as has US auction house Aumann Vintage Power.

In a letter obtained by ABC Rural, the minister’s department conceded to a tractor enthusiast that “an error” was made.

The letter said the special tractor in question was lumped in with others for an export permit from Australia in 2008.

The department said it should not have allowed the tractor to leave but said it would not take further action.

“Given the circumstances in which the export occurred, a decision was made by the department at the time to take no further action in relation to the object or its export,” the letter said.

“That decision stands, and the department does not have any intention to pursue any enforcement action in relation to the 2008 export of the object.

The tractor will be sold at auction in Illinois on June 13.

“It becomes a matter or urgency,” Mr Edgar said.

“When the auction finishes, it may or may not be sold.



Source link

Couple warns consumers about tractor and machinery ad scams suspected of swindling almost $400,000


Verna and Gary Elks needed to update their old tractor and found a deal that seemed too good to be true — and it was.

The couple discovered a website advertising a $20,000 tractor and began the purchasing process, after conducting some checks to see if the offer was legitimate.

“As we’re getting older we simply need a little more help,” Mr Elks said.

“We just needed one with a bucket, we’ve got an old tractor but it hasn’t got a bucket and it was just going to make life a little bit easier for us.”

Mr and Ms Elks initially received helpful emails, phone calls and were even given access to an online tracker to watch the tractor’s journey to their small property in Western Australia.

But it never arrived.

NT Consumer Affairs said websites like this lift images from other sites and misuse ABNs to appear legitimate.(Supplied: NT Consumer Affairs)

They said they were embarrassed but determined to expose the fraud.

“It’s the old adage, if it looks to good to be true it is, so just be really careful,” Ms Elks said.

“Well, we’re one of them and we thought we’d done all the right things.”

On closer investigation of the website Mr and Ms Elks had contacted, a street view map of the listed “tractor showroom” address revealed it was a vacant block in Darwin’s industrial area.

“It was a big blow, big, big blow,” Ms Elks said.

“A small farm the size of ours, it was a real hit in the guts, it’s put us behind the eight ball now.

“It destroys you when it happens,” Mr Elks added.

Gary Elks uses his tractor on a property in Western Australia.
Gary Elks had hoped to upgrade his tractor for use on his family farm in Western Australia.(Supplied: Verna and Gary Elks)

Western Australian consumer protection website WA ScamNet last week published a warning about the scam site, which it said was impersonating a company called Bora Machinery.

WA ScamNet said the real owner of the Australian Business Number (ABN) had been contacted.

NT Consumer Affairs has also listed more than 20 websites it believes to be fraudulent.

NT Consumer Affairs deputy commissioner Sandy Otto said consumers across Australia had lost more than $380,000 so far to these sites.

“They’re very attractive to people who are wanting to update their machinery because the prices are so good.”

The websites have focused on advertising “big ticket” items, such as tractors, motorbikes, campervans and heavy machinery.

Fake Pakenham Tractors website.
NT Consumer Affairs said it was finding more fake websites like this one each week.(Supplied: NT Consumer Affairs)

Ms Otto said the sites were misusing content from legitimate sites and lifting ABNs to appear more legitimate.

The scam websites constantly evolve and rebrand and Ms Otto said two more had popped up in the past few days.

She said any website requesting a direct transfer of funds into a bank account, whether or not it was an Australian account, should raise a “red flag” for consumers.

Senior Constable Jason Corbett from the NT Police Cyber Crime Unit said they were looking at several lines of enquiry with NT Consumer Affairs and the Australian Cyber Security Centre.

Mr and Ms Elks said they would encourage people to purchase items in their local area, even if it meant spending more.

“Try and buy local if you can, it’s better to spend an extra few thousand dollars than it is to lose $20,000,” Mr Elks said.

“It’s highly unlikely they’ll be caught and you definitely won’t be getting your money back.

“They got us a beauty.”



Source link