NRL player Tristan Sailor allegedly drugged, raped woman: court


Emerging NRL star Tristan Sailor allegedly drugged a woman before raping her, a court has heard.

The son of Brisbane and St George Illawarra great Wendell Sailor was on Sunday granted bail after being arrested on Saturday and charged with the alleged sexual assault of a woman in Sydney last weekend.

He will remain on bail on several strict conditions as he gets set to answer the charges, with police alleging in court the alleged victim was drugged and “discarded” by Mr Sailor.

Police prosecutor Shannon Ryan described Mr Sailor’s alleged actions as “predatory and planned”.

He told the court toxicology reports had detected a sedative in her bloodstream and there was evidence to corroborate her alleged injuries.

“The allegations before the court can be categorised as predatory and planned,” he said.

“The sedative given to the complainant without her knowledge is consistent with her account and the witness was found in an unconscious state.

“She in my submission was left and discarded in a vulnerable state.”

Barrister Richard Pontello SC said there was no proof that Mr Sailor had given her the sedative, sleeping tablet Doxylamine, and that there were any number of “reprobates” who could have been responsible.

He also pointed to several text messages exchanged between Mr Sailor and the alleged victim the following day.

The alleged victim in one text said: “Tristan I don’t remember anything after the Uber to mine, just need to know for peace of mind what happened? Did we have sex?”

The court heard Mr Sailor replied: “Sorry I was out, we were playing drinking games and yes we did have sex. I asked you and (the alleged victim’s friend) so everything was sweet. I pulled out and everything so it was sweet.”

Mr Pontello said that the texts were consistent with his version of events that any sexual contact was consensual.

“He asks how she is feeling,” Mr Pontello said.

Mr Sailor was granted bail by Registrar Cally D‘Arcy who said any community concerns could be mitigated by strict conditions, including that he report to police daily, abide by a curfew, not drink alcohol and surrender his passport.

Mr Sailor’s lawyers tendered five affidavits to the court including from NRL great and Broncos board member Darren Lockyer and former Dragons coach Paul McGregor.

Mr Sailor, 22, was arrested on Saturday after NSW Police raided the Wollongong home he shares with his parents on Saturday morning.

Police received a complaint from a 24-year-old woman that she was sexually assaulted at a southern Sydney home last weekend.

Police have alleged the woman sustained injuries during the alleged assault.

Officers from the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad launched Strike Force Rouget before Mr Sailor was arrested on Saturday and charged with aggravated sex assault – inflict actual bodily harm.

Mr Sailor made five appearances for the Dragons in 2019-20 however has not been offered a spot on their 2021 roster under incoming coach Anthony Griffin.

He had been earmarked as a future representative player but has struggled for game time since making his debut in 2019.

The club’s decision not to offer him a new contract angered his father Wendell who said he was “disappointed” his son had been cut.



Source link

Tristan Sailor alleged drugged sexual assault victim, court hears


Five affidavits had already been handed over to police ahead of the bail application, including statements from former Dragons coach Paul McGregor, NRL legend Darren Lockyer and player agent David Riolo.

Mr Sailor’s lawyer Richard Pontello SC argued that anyone that night could have administered the drugs to the alleged victim and said that his client believed he had received consent.

Mr Pontello read out a text exchange between Mr Sailor and the alleged victim that he believed outlined his client’s innocence.

“What happened last night?” the woman messaged the day after the alleged incident, according to Mr Pontello.

“Sorry I had to go, how are you feeling today?” Mr Sailor responded.

“Tristan I don’t remember anything after the Uber to mine, need to know for peace of mind, what happened – did we have sex?’ she allegedly replied.

“Sorry I was out. We were playing drinking games and yes we did have sex I asked you and [victim’s friend] so everything was sweet. I pulled out and everything so it was sweet,” he is alleged to have replied.

Mr Pontello argued that his client “asked how she was feeling” and had only had sex with the alleged victim after obtaining her consent.

Mr Sailor was granted bail by the Registrar Cally D’Arcy, who imposed a number of strict conditions.

Mr Sailor, who lives with his parents in Wollongong, was arrested at their house on Saturday morning. He was charged with alleged aggravated sexual assault and spent the night in police custody.

Police allege Mr Sailor sexually assaulted a 24-year-old woman known to him at a home in Sydney’s south on October 3.

The woman sustained injuries as a result of the assault, police say.

“Following extensive inquiries, Strike Force detectives executed a search warrant at a home at Wollongong about 7.40am today [Saturday], where they seized a number of items relevant to the investigation,” a police statement said on Saturday.

Mr Sailor was automatically stood down under the NRL’s no-fault policy on Sunday, which applies if players are facing charges that carry a maximum penalty of 11 years or more in prison.

“The game has the strongest stance in Australian sport on these matters,” NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo said on Saturday.

Mr Sailor was told last month he would not be offered a contract next year with the Dragons under new coach Anthony Griffin and is without a club for 2021. He has made just five appearances for the club across 2019 and 2020 but remains under contract with the Dragons until October 31.

“The club is taking the matter very seriously and will continue to work with Tristan and all relevant authorities,” St George Illawarra said in a statement made on Saturday.

Loading

Mr Sailor’s lawyer Richard Pontello SC represented Panthers player Tyrone May in 2019 after he was charged with four counts of intentionally recording an intimate image without consent.

He will appear in Sutherland Local Court on December 3.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading



Source link

Tristan Sailor charged with aggravated sexual assault, held in custody


“Earlier this week, police received a report that a 24-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted by a man known to her. Detectives from St George Police Area Command and the Child Abuse and Sex Crimes Squad commenced an investigation under Strike Force Rouget.

“Following extensive inquiries, Strike Force detectives executed a search warrant at a home at Wollongong about 7.40am today [Saturday], where they seized a number of items relevant to the investigation.

“A 22-year-old man was arrested at the home and taken to Wollongong Police Station, where he was charged with aggravated sex assault – inflict actual bodily harm on victim. Police will allege in court that the man sexually assaulted the woman, during which she sustained injuries, at a home in Sydney’s south last Saturday. He has been refused bail to appear at Wollongong Local Court tomorrow. Inquiries are continuing.”

The NRL integrity unit is aware that Sailor has been charged. The seriousness of the allegations means he is automatically sidelined under the NRL’s no-fault stand down rule, which prohibits players taking the field if they face charges that carry a maximum penalty of 11 years or more in prison.

Sailor is without a club for 2021 after being told last month he would not be offered a new deal at St George Illawarra under incoming coach Anthony Griffin. He is under contract with the Dragons until October 31.

Sailor is the second Dragons player to be charged with aggravated sexual assault in recent years. Jack de Belin is currently awaiting trial for an alleged incident from 2018.

The Dragons responded to the charge on Saturday afternoon.

“St George Illawarra have today been advised that Tristan Sailor has been charged with sexual assault following an alleged incident last weekend,” St George Illawarra said in a statement.

“The club is taking the matter very seriously and will continue to work with Tristan and all relevant authorities. The NRL integrity unit has also been made aware.

“While Tristan won’t be at the Dragons in 2021, the club will continue to provide any necessary welfare support as he comes to terms with the matter.

“As this is a police matter to be considered by the court, the club will make no further comment at this time.”

Sailor’s surname had heightened interest in the impact he might have at the Dragons as he came through the ranks as a local junior and made his first-grade debut at halfback in round 23 last year.

But he has made only five appearances for the club over the course of the 2019 and 2020 seasons and after struggling to break into the side this year, he has been left to find a new team.

Tristan and Wendell Sailor after Tristan’s debut last year.Credit:NRL Photos

It was a decision that disappointed his famous father, Wendell, a dual international who finished his decorated career at the Dragons in 2009.

“He got two games off the bench and was expected to pull off the miracle play with limited game time,” Sailor snr told Wide World of Sports a fortnight ago.

“Now they say he is not wanted – my wife and I are very disappointed that he never got the opportunity to show what he’s got on the field.

“He’s done everything right all year. He couldn’t even come to my mum’s funeral because he was in the bubble, but he accepted that and now they cut him.”

Sport newsletter

Sports news, results and expert commentary delivered straight to your inbox each weekday. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading



Source link

Tristan Sailor, arrest, St George, Dragons, Wendell Sailor, woman’s complaint, allegations


Aspiring NRL star Tristan Sailor has reportedly been arrested in relation to an alleged complaint made by a woman.

The young gun, who is the son of rugby league legend Wendell Sailor, has played five games for the Dragons since his first grade debut last year, but was cut by the club at the end of this season.

NSW Police said in a statement detectives executed a search warrant at a home in Wollongong as part of an ongoing investigation. A 22-year-old man was arrested and taken to Wollongong police station.

No charges have been laid.

Multiple media outlets reported the man in question to be Sailor, who lives with his parents in Wollongong.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports the NRL Integrity Unit has been made aware of Sailor’s arrest.

Sailor has struggled for opportunities at the Red V and is not part of incoming coach Anthony Griffin’s plans.

He played halfback in his maiden first grade appearance late in 2019 but couldn’t win a regular place in the 17 under Paul McGregor or interim coach Dean Young.

Sailor’s father Wendell was a Broncos legend before hopping codes and representing the Wallabies in rugby union. He later returned to league with the Dragons, where he finished his career.

Wendell was unhappy his son had been shunned by St George at the end of this season.

“He got two games off the bench and was expected to pull off the miracle play with limited game time,” Wendell told Nine last month.

“Now they say he is not wanted — my wife and I are very disappointed that he never got the opportunity to show what he’s got on the field.

“He’s done everything right all year. He couldn’t even come to my mum’s funeral because he was in the bubble, but he accepted that and now they cut him.”



Source link

NRL 2020: Tristan Sailor arrested, sexual assault allegations, St George Illawarra Dragons


Dragons rookie Tristan Sailor, son of league legend Wendell Sailor, has reportedly been arrested in relation to sexual assault allegations.

The Sydney Morning Heraldreports 22-year-old Sailor, who lives with his parents in Wollongong, was taken into custody on Saturday morning after a woman reported that she was sexually assaulted in southern Sydney last weekend.

Stream the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership finals series live & on-demand from overseas on Watch NRL. Grab your finals pass now!

“A search warrant has been executed at a home at Wollongong this morning at 7.40am,” a NSW Police Force spokesperson said.

Semi Final

“A 22-year-old man has been arrested and taken to Wollongong police station.”



Source link