AFL Trades 2020 | Two-Metre Peter Street could be right option for Essendon Bombers


“I think Peter Wright will be on the Essendon Football Club’s list next year,” Lloyd said.

“(They) shouldn’t have to give up much for him.”

A decision on Wright could also smooth the way for Orazia Fantasia to get to Port Adelaide as negotiations reached a stalemate.

Essendon are holding firm, saying a first-round draft pick must be part of the deal. But Port Adelaide have declared that their first pick next year is off the table and will not be traded under any circumstances.

While the South Australian has officially requested a trade to Port Adelaide, sources close to the deal-making say the Bombers are now worried about losing more pace and firepower without much in return.

Conor McKenna has returned to Ireland after retiring from football and Adam Saad will eventually get to Carlton – most likely for the Blues’ first pick (currently eight) – meaning the Bombers already are losing significant pace from their list.

At his best, Essendon believe Fantasia has All-Australian ability. In 2017, he kicked 39 goals in 20 games.

Port Adelaide, however, are well aware that Fantasia has played just 33 games in three seasons since then.

He’s struggled with both groin and calf problems in recent seasons but is now fully fit.

Despite some reports that Essendon demanded a player from Port Adelaide, it is believed that the haggling is now over draft picks only.

Sources believe the Bombers have asked for Port’s future first round pick for Fantasia and are willing to give a pick back.

That values Fantasia at slightly worse than pick 18 if Port Adelaide were to win the premiership next season.

Sources say Port Adelaide’s current offer is pick 28, and that is likely be pushed back with a number of father-son and academy selections in this year’s draft.

Port Adelaide believe next year’s draft is strong and will likely use their second or third pick on father-son prospect Jase Burgoyne, son of premiership great Peter.

It’s the second consecutive year that Fantasia has attempted to get to Port Adelaide, although negotiations weren’t nearly as advanced 12 months ago as they are now.

Fantasia has just turned 25 and has played 80 games in seven seasons at Essendon.

Meanwhile Shaun McKernan is continuing to weigh up interest from both St Kilda and Melbourne after being delisted by Essendon at the end of the season. The Saints and the Demons are both looking for a back up ruckman who can also provide some experience and height inside 50.

Most Viewed in Sport

Loading



Source link

UK to review two-metre distancing rule


Britain is reviewing its two-metre social distancing rule ahead of the next stage of lockdown easing planned for July 4 when bars, restaurants and hairdressers could re-open in England, Prime Minister Boris Johnson says.

Progress in tackling the coronavirus pandemic had created “room for manoeuvre” on the rule, which many employers have said will make it harder to get back up to speed, Johnson said at an east London shopping centre preparing to re-open next week.

Britain has reported the third highest number of coronavirus deaths after the United States and Brazil, something critics of the government say reflects its response to the crisis.

The United Kingdom’s death toll from confirmed cases of COVID-19 rose by 36 to 41,698 as of June 13, according to government data released on Sunday.

Johnson’s Conservative Party government, which says it has followed scientific advice in its handling of the pandemic, faces the difficult balancing act of reviving the economy without allowing a second wave of cases.

“We’ll work closely with the scientists at all times and make the right decision on the basis of safety, health and stopping the disease,” Johnson said.

As COVID-19 in the population fell to 1 in 1600 or lower, the chances of catching the disease from an encounter of less than two metres had diminished, Johnson added.

“You start to build some more margin for manoeuvre,” he said.

“So we’ll be keeping it under review for July 4th.”

Finance minister Rishi Sunak earlier told Sky News the review would involve economists as well as scientists so it could be looked at “in the round”.

Lowering the distance people have to maintain from one another could provide an immediate benefit for English pubs, with Sunak saying three quarters could re-open rather than about one third with a two-metre rule.



Source link

Two-metre social distancing rule ‘set to be cut in bid to save businesses’


Boris Johnson has reportedly asked for a comprehensive review of the two-metre rule over fears keeping it in place could cost millions of jobs.

As well as scientific advisers, the Prime Minister is seeking advice from behavioural scientists and economists, the Mail on Sunday reports.

Mr Johnson faces mounting pressure from Tory MPs and the pub trade, who say they’ll go bust if the social distancing rule isn’t cut to 1.5m or 1m by the time pubs start reopening on July 4.

That’s despite warnings from scientists that cutting the distance significantly increases the risk of spreading the deadly disease.

Your risk of catching coronavirus is “10 to 30 times higher” at one metre away from someone, the government’s chief scientific advisor said last month.

Sir Patrick Vallance said standing one metre from someone gives the same risk in six seconds as a full minute at the recommended two metres.

For the latest on the coronavirus pandemic, read our liveblog here

Scientists are reluctant to relax the two-metre rule

A Government source told the MoS the move to reduce the distance would provide a “road map to unlock the economy” before the hospitality industry re-opens for business on July 4.

It comes amid fears that if it remains in place, the hospitality sector will be hit by millions of job losses when the government’s furlough payment scheme comes to an end.

Emma McClarkin, the chief executive of the British Beer and Pub Association, has previously said that if guidelines are not changed, an estimated 37,000 pubs and bars will not be able to re-open.

It is understood that the review will be run by Downing Street’s newly appointed Permanent Secretary Simon Case.

At the moment, Britain and Spain are the only countries in Europe which maintain that people should remain two metres apart to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

The WHO recommends keeping a distance of one metre from others

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends a distance of three feet, or one metre.

Until now, Downing Street has emphasised people should still stay two metres from people from outside their household, despite lockdown easing.

A Downing Street spokesman said: “Our progress in fighting coronavirus depends on everyone following the rules we have set out.

“This comprehensive review will examine how the two-metre rule works in practice, the scientific evidence and international comparisons, among other factors.”

It comes after the PM declared earlier this week to put the rule under “constant review”.

A further 181 fatalities linked to coronavirus were reported yesterday

Mr Johnson said: “I’ve read many papers actually on the social distancing rule and it’s a very interesting point.

“I believe that those measures, the two-metre rule, need now to be kept under review.

“As we drive this disease down, as we get the incidence down, working together, I want to ensure we keep that two metre rule under constant review.”

The UK yesterday recorded its lowest Saturday death toll from coronavirus since lockdown began.

A total of 181 fatalities were reported, bringing the tragic overall death toll to 41,662 – although the true number is likely to be far higher, with some estimates standing at nearly 52,000.

Of these, 80 were reported in hospitals, with 67 in England, five in Scotland, six in Wales and two in Northern Ireland.





Source link