Chaotic scenes as Shanghai airport workers undergo mass COVID-19 testing


Videos on social media purportedly from workers showed what appeared to be chaotic scenes at the airport as they were given last-minute orders to get tested. In the videos, people are seen standing in large groups pushing back and forth against officials in hazmat suits.

Workers in hazmat suits prepare to administer COVID-19 tests for employees at Shanghai Pudong International Airport.Credit:AP

Shanghai has been more selective with mass testing, targeting people associated with a particular place, such as the airport or the hospital where someone who has tested positive had worked, rather than an entire district.

Experts and government officials have warned that the chance of the virus spreading will be greater in cold weather. Recent flareups have shown that there is still a risk of the virus returning, despite being largely controlled within China.

In Tianjin, health workers have collected more than 2.2 million samples for testing from residents in the Binhai new district, after five locally transmitted cases were discovered there last week.

In Manzhouli, a city of more than 200,000 people, local health authorities are testing all residents after two cases were reported on Saturday. They also shut down all schools and public venues and banned public gatherings such as banquets.

China has resorted to its heavy, top-down approach each time new cases of local transmission are found – shutting down schools and hospitals, locking down residential communities and entire neighbourhoods, and testing millions.

Tianjin authorities shut down a kindergarten and moved all the teachers, family and students to a centralised quarantine space. They also sealed the residential compound where the five cases were found.

China’s approach to controlling the pandemic has been criticised for being draconian. It locked down the city of Wuhan, where cases were first reported, for more than two months to contain the virus, with the local government shutting down all traffic and confining residents to their homes. Domestically, however, China has called its strategy “clear to zero” and has boasted of its success.

Loading

“In the entire world, only China has the ability to get to zero. Other countries don’t have this ability,” Zeng Guang, the chief epidemiologist at the Chinese Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a webinar hosted by Chinese media in September. “It’s not just getting to zero, even for them to control the first wave of the epidemic is hard.”

“‘Clearing to zero’ is actually the most economically effective way to do epidemic prevention. If you don’t do that, then this problem will get more troublesome,” he said. “Use a heavier hand, and get to zero, then people will feel reassured.”

AP

Sign up to our Coronavirus Update newsletter

Get our Coronavirus Update newsletter for the day’s crucial developments and the numbers you need to know. Sign up to The Sydney Morning Herald’s newsletter here and The Age’s here.

Most Viewed in World

Loading



Source link

Blues’ Charlie Curnow to undergo surgery


Charlie Curnow’s horror injury run has continued with the Carlton forward set to undergo surgery on Wednesday after suffering further damage to his troublesome right knee.

The 23-year-old sustained a stress injury to his right patella last week while working through his rehabilitation program.

It is the same knee that has troubled Curnow for the past two seasons, keeping him out of action since June last year.

“Charlie’s patella has been complicated by this current stress injury,” Carlton head of football Brad Lloyd said.

“However, whilst he has been able to continue with his rehabilitation program, his specialist orthopaedic surgeon feels that surgery to reinforce the area of bone stress will hasten his return to training and minimise the risk of further injury.

“We’re fully supportive of this approach and will continue to support Charlie through his recovery process.”

Curnow emerged as one of the AFL’s brightest young talents after making his debut in 2016 but a string of knee issues have halted his progress in recent times.

The 192cm forward was sidelined by a medial complaint in the final third of the 2019 season.

He then dislocated his knee while playing basketball, fractured his kneecap in a separate incident and later suffered a hairline stress response during his rehabilitation.

The Blues are still hopeful Curnow, who has kicked 77 goals in 58 games to date, will return to be one of the key figures in their planned climb back into finals contention next season.





Source link

Motorcycling: Zarco to undergo wrist surgery after horror crash in Austria



FILE PHOTO: MotoGP – Austrian Grand Prix – Red Bull Ring, Spielberg, Austria – August 15, 2020 Reale Avintia Racing’s Johann Zarco during qualifying REUTERS/Lisi Niesner

August 18, 2020

(Reuters) – MotoGP rider Johann Zarco will undergo surgery after he was found to have a fractured wrist following his crash at last weekend’s Austrian Grand Prix, the Frenchman said on Tuesday.

The Avintia Ducati rider was involved in a high-speed crash with Franco Morbidelli’s Petronas Yamaha at turn three in Spielberg on Sunday, with their cartwheeling bikes missing Yamaha duo Valentino Rossi and Maverick Vinales by inches.

A medical check-up on Monday revealed Zarco had fractured his right wrist. He will have an operation in Italy on Wednesday.

“This is the doctor that has operated many times on Ducati riders,” Zarco said. “Then we will come back to Austria, and I will be on Thursday at the track to have a meeting about the big incident that happened on Sunday.”

Race stewards, who have analysed video footage, have yet to take action against any rider but summoned Zarco and Morbidelli to a meeting at the track “in order to better understand the circumstances”.

The governing FIM spoke of its mission to “support riders and contribute to their safety and education, as well as to apply any sanctions required by the FIM Regulations.”

Zarco said if he is declared fit by the medical centre he will be available for Sunday’s Styrian Grand Prix, which will also be held at the Red Bull Ring in Austria.

Sunday’s incident has sparked a backlash, with many riders blaming the Frenchman for taking an unusual line while braking heading into the turn.

Morbidelli branded Zarco “half a killer” after the race, and said on Twitter on Monday that “someone needs to pay the mistake”, but the Frenchman maintains he did not move under braking deliberately.

Avintia Ducati has defended Zarco, saying the telemetry data on the bike shows he did not brake early to cause a collision.

(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru/Alan Baldwin in London; Editing by Hugh Lawson and Christian Radnedge)





Source link

Calls grow for domestic travellers flying from Victoria to NSW to undergo mandatory hotel quarantine

NSW Labor chief Jodi McKay has urged Premier Gladys Berejiklian to utilize a lot more stringent quarantine measures for domestic air travellers entering the state from Victoria. 

Melbourne inhabitants are now topic to stage 4 limitations more than the up coming 6 weeks to travel down COVID-19 case numbers, specially individuals which are not able to be traced again to an outbreak. 

Ms McKay claimed the high caseload in Victoria necessitates the exact same mandatory quarantine restrictions that implement to abroad returned travellers to implement to domestic air travellers from Victoria. 

“We want mandatory quarantine for each individual one man or woman coming in from Victoria for the future six months though Victoria is in lockdown.” 

Of the 17 flights detailed for arrival at Sydney Airport from Melbourne on Tuesday, 14 have been cancelled.

Amongst 12 May and 21 July, 5 flights landing in Sydney – from Melbourne and Brisbane – were being identified as owning optimistic COVID-19 circumstances on board, while the the greater part of optimistic situations have been located on intercontinental flights. 

Overseas arrivals in Sydney have been capped at 350 passengers for every working day from 20 July to “shield our point out from COVID-19”, Ms Berejiklian claimed.

‘Restrictions not utilized to air borders’

Ms McKay said additional requirements to be finished to include the risk of the virus spreading from Victoria. 

“We have a condition in New South Wales in which the land borders have been shut, but the same limits have not been used to our air borders.

“We are seeing flights arrive in on a day-to-day basis. There are hundreds of persons coming into Victoria from New South Wales who we believe in are isolating in their homes for two months.”

Inspite of the NSW-Victoria border closure, which came into impact on 7 July, domestic flights continue on to run amongst Victoria and New South Wales “to permit people with exemptions and returning NSW people to travel”, Sydney Airport reported.

The border closure suggests these trying to get to enter NSW from Victoria should undergo 14 days of obligatory self-isolation. Only those who meet the particular standards for exemptions can utilize for a border entry allow by way of Support NSW. 

Upon arrival at Sydney Airport, travellers are achieved by NSW Law enforcement officers and NSW Wellness employees to advise them of the general public well being order need to straight away go into required self-isolation. Breach of this necessity appeals to an $11,000 good and 6 months jail time. 

Ms Berejiklian has claimed she is considering applying further limits to the land border amongst New South Wales and Victoria. 

Ms McKay urged Ms Berejiklian to go speedily to prevent “one more Ruby Princess”.

“That is what is at stake in this article in NSW. Let us not sleepwalk into disaster. And that is my worry due to the fact the Leading will not act.” 

The Ruby Princess ship has been joined to 22 deaths and nearly 700 coronavirus instances nationwide, just after it docked in Sydney on 19 March. 

‘NSW is on a precipice’

Former Australian Clinical Affiliation president Dr Kerryn Phelps stated there is a major health and fitness situation to shutting the air border with Victoria.

“We do not know how quite a few men and women are truly performing the self-isolating when they get there,” she informed the ABC’s Q+A show on Monday.

“We know there are hundreds of lively scenarios in Victoria, there could be up to 10 situations as a lot of folks who are contaminated who don’t know it and we’re just permitting folks get on planes with out having a take a look at prior to they get on the airplane, arriving in Sydney and dispersing into the neighborhood.

“NSW is on a precipice and unless we acquire it severely and basically have an efficient shut border, we are likely to see leakage of these circumstances from Victoria about to NSW.”

But Australia’s deputy chief medical officer Dr Nick Coatsworth explained he believes the steps in location are adequate to cut down the threat of the virus spreading amongst Victoria and New South Wales.

“Delivered these people (coming from Melbourne flights) remain in house quarantine then that possibility is mitigated,” he instructed Channel Nine’s These days display.

Airport arrivals prompt concerns from NSW Taxi Council

The chief executive officer of the NSW Taxi Council, Martin Rogers, explained he had issues about the danger to more mature taxi drivers who are allowed to transportation air travellers from Sydney Airport to their desired destination for self-isolation. 

“We are on the lookout at taking assistance from … NSW Overall health about what it signifies to express a passenger safely,” he advised Sydney radio station 2GB. 

Mr Rogers mentioned tax drivers are in tough place since it is illegal for them to refuse a fare. 

“We would like to see passengers consider their isolation begins at Melbourne Airport. They are putting on a mask at the airport, they must maintain putting on that mask [until they reach their place of self-isolation],” he claimed.

3 August: Trans-Tasman travel bubble ‘some time’ absent offered Australia’s coronavirus problems

Office regulator SafeWork Australia and NSW Wellness suggest taxi drivers to adopt COVID-safe and sound measures this sort of as asking passengers to sit in the back seat of the car, manage their own baggage exactly where doable and use contactless payments. 

NSW recorded 12 new instances on Tuesday, together with 3 household circumstances obtained in Victoria. 

Folks in Australia ought to stay at the very least 1.5 metres away from other folks. Check your state’s constraints on accumulating restrictions.

If you are dealing with chilly or flu indications, continue to be home and organize a test by calling your doctor or call the Coronavirus Wellness Data Hotline on 1800 020 080.

News and details is obtainable in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus



Supply backlink

Blackwater residents to undergo widespread coronavirus testing following death of miner Nathan Turner


The death of Nathan Turner, 30, has sparked a major health emergency in Blackwater, with a special COVID-response team sent to the town in an effort to trace the source of his infection.

Queensland Health said Mr Turner had a “complicated” medical history, had suffered with respiratory symptoms since May and tested positive to the virus following his death on Wednesday afternoon.

How Mr Turner picked up the infection remains a mystery.

It is believed the miner had not been at work since November nor travelled outside Blackwater since February.

The Central Queensland town, with a population of 4,700, has not had a case of COVID-19 before.

A large-scale fever clinic is being set up at the Blackwater Showground for residents to get tested.

Health authorities said they have no reason to link Mr Turner’s case with a nurse whose diagnosis sent an aged-care home in Rockhampton into lockdown, however the matter is being investigated further today.

The Health Department has confirmed the nurse, who has since been suspended, had travelled from Rockhampton to Blackwater, on May 14.

Blackwater man Nathan Turner is the youngest person to die of coronavirus in Australia.(Facebook)

However, Queensland Health said they did not believe the two cases were linked given Mr Turner had been showing symptoms before this date.

“Contact tracing information provided to Queensland Health for the Central Queensland case identified on May 14 was that the individual travelled to Blackwater in the second week of May but did not interact with other individuals there,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

“Information provided to Queensland Health about the case identified today indicated the man had respiratory symptoms since the first week of May.

“At this time, no evidence has been provided to Queensland Health that links the two cases. But we will continue to assess all information relevant to any case.”

Nurse travelled to town to ‘watch sunset’

Health Minister Steven Miles said the nurse initially advised contact tracers that she had visited Blackwater to “watch a sunset”.

“That is what she had told us previously but we were trying to talk to her again yesterday just to get more details,” he said.

Mr Miles said it was “a fair way” to go for a round trip but there was still no confirmed link between the pair.  

“It is possible that there is some kind of connection there or it could just be a coincidence, so that’s what our investigators are working on,” he said.

“The dates don’t really line up from when he got sick — it is a bit of a mystery.”

It is almost 200 kilometres from Rockhampton to Blackwater and on May 14, when the nurse travelled, Queenslanders were forbidden to travel long distances without exemptions.

Mr Turner’s partner also has coronavirus symptoms and is in isolation.

However, an initial COVID-19 test returned a negative result.

She worked at the Fairbairn bakery in Blackwater, which has been closed temporarily following Mr Turner’s death.

Police and ambulance officers who attended the scene of Mr Turner’s death are also now in quarantine.

Federal Member for Flynn Ken O’Dowd said the miner hadn’t been at work this year.

“He hadn’t been able to work for some time … I think he last worked in November last year,” Mr O’Dowd said.

“People are concerned and want to know what really is behind it all.

“I just urge people to just remain calm, listen to what Queensland Health have to say.

“My sympathies go to his family and close friends, it’s come across as a great shock to the community.”



Source link