MP meets with Qld food producers to test bioplastic future


MACKAY MP Julieanne Gilbert will meet with Queensland food producers this month to gauge their appetite for using bioplastics in their packaging.

Mrs Gilbert is forging ahead with her plan to get the region producing bioplastics from sugar cane to future-proof local jobs.

The Mackay MP said Australia had faced a shortage of plastic bottles to store hand sanitiser during the COVID-19 pandemic because we relied on overseas manufacturers that were forced to halt production.

“We need to look at how we can support the Australian and local economy and use the resources we have to future-proof our industries here so that we are not going to be caught short again,” she said.

More stories:

Mackay Sugar fined after shocking workplace incident

Mackay cane farmers prepare for crushing season

Sarina distillery’s vital role in coronavirus fight

Last month, Mrs Gilbert met with Queensland Biofutures ambassador Ian O’Hara, representatives from Trade and Investment Queensland and state development representatives to discuss her plan.

PLASTIC PUSH: Mackay MP Julieanne Gilbert at Racecourse Mill. Picture: supplied

“They all told me if we can build a guaranteed market where we can have producers of food products agree that they will buy products made in Australia from sugar cane, that we will then have a market,” she said.

“As soon as we get the first one signed up and ready to go, they believe we will have a flood of investors and this will be the future of our economy here in Mackay.

“We can’t just rely on scrambling the next time the sugar price goes down or the coal price goes down.

“We need to have stable industries that will see us through all of the peaks and troughs of our other industries.”

Subscriber benefits:

Your questions about the new Daily Mercury format answered

How to make the most of your digital subscription

Daily puzzles and Sudoku another reason to stay subscribed

Mrs Gilbert’s petition, which called on the Federal Government to mandate the use of Australian bioplastics in packaging, has now received more than 250 signatures.





Source link

Newmarch House residents test negative for coronavirus after COVID-19 scare


There has been a coronavirus scare at the Newmarch House aged care home in Sydney’s west, with four residents tested for COVID-19 after showing flu-like symptoms.

The aged care home was locked down earlier this year after a worker with mild symptoms worked six days at the facility while infected with COVID-19, causing an outbreak.

Nineteen residents died from coronavirus-related illnesses after the first case was detected in April, accounting for almost a fifth of all deaths from coronavirus nationally.

A further 37 residents and 34 staff members contracted the disease but the four tests on Saturday were all negative.

Anglicare Sydney, which operates the facility, declared it COVID-19 free on June 15 but said the four residents had been tested after showing flu-like symptoms.

In a statement, Anglicare Sydney said a number of precautionary measures had been put in place.

“The residents have been tested, are isolated and their families have been contacted,” the statement read.

“Staff attending them are wearing full personal protective equipment (PPE).”

Staff are wearing masks and continuing to adhere to strict infection control protocols when attending all other residents.

Only one resident from Newmarch House passed away in hospital.

The aged care home said all other residents were being encouraged to stay in their rooms, but would be monitored to make sure they kept up social distancing if they chose to leave.

NSW Health has confirmed there were four residents being tested, after Anglicare initially said there were three.

“One resident has returned a negative result and the other test results are expected to be available later this evening,” NSW Health said in a statement.

Anglicare Sydney said it was in regular contact with the families of all residents.

“We will review all these measures over the next few days as we wait upon the test results from NSW Health,” a statement read.

This week it was announced that Anglicare could face a class action from Shine Lawyers over the deaths.

National practice leader Lisa Flynn said the law firm would allege the aged care provider was negligent in its handling of the crisis and breached its duty of care to residents.

“This virus was brought into the nursing home by a staff member who was sick and should not have presented to work on multiple occasions while exhibiting symptoms,” she said.

“Grieving relatives want to know why their loved ones weren’t immediately taken to hospital after testing positive so they could receive the high-level clinical care they needed.”



Source link

England include Dom Bess in 13-man squad for first Windies Test | Cricket News


Dom Bess (Photo credit: Stu Forster/Getty Images)

LONDON: Spinner Dom Bess was named in England’s 13-man squad for the first test against West Indies and there was no place for Moeen Ali among nine reserves, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) said on Saturday.
All-rounder Ben Stokes will lead England in the match, which will begin at the Ageas Bowl Southampton on Wednesday in a bio-secure environment amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
Moeen announced in September he was taking a break from test cricket after losing out on a central contract for the longest format but he was included in a 30-man training group.
But the ECB opted to go with off-spinner Bess, who grabbed his first five-wicket test haul against South Africa in January.
Fellow spinner Jack Leach is among the reserves for the opening game of the three-match series. All-rounder Sam Curran, who was cleared to resume training after testing negative for COVID-19, was also placed on stand-by.
Regular skipper Joe Root will miss the first test to be at the birth of his second child.
The second and third tests will be played in Manchester.
England squad: Ben Stokes (captain), James Anderson, Jofra Archer, Dominic Bess, Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Zak Crawley, Joe Denly, Ollie Pope, Dom Sibley, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.
Reserves: James Bracey, Sam Curran, Ben Foakes, Dan Lawrence, Jack Leach, Saqib Mahmood, Craig Overton, Ollie Robinson, Olly Stone.



Source link

Novak Djokovic and his wife test negative for coronavirus


Globe variety one Novak Djokovic mentioned by means of his group on Thursday that he had returned a adverse coronavirus exam following previously staying infected.

Serbia’s Djokovic and his spouse Jelena became contaminated in the course of the Adria Tour exhibition that he lately organised in Belgrade and Zadar.

The collection was cancelled pursuing an outbreak amongst gamers and coaches.

Novak Djokovic examined optimistic for coronavirus final thirty day period.

Getty

Djokovic said he and Jelena examined beneficial on 23 June, a working day right after several other players, starting up with Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, grew to become contaminated.

“A PCR [polymerase chain reaction] take a look at Novak Djokovic and his spouse Jelena took in Belgrade returned a negative result,” Djokovic’s workforce explained in a assertion.

“They in no way exhibited any indications and have spent the final 10 times in isolation,” it additional.

Djokovic arrived less than fireplace for organising the sequence in Belgrade and the Croatian Adriatic city of Zadar with free health and fitness protocols even as the relaxation of the tennis planet was in lockdown.

The men’s and women’s top rated amount tours hope to return from coronavirus suspension in August.

Folks in Australia ought to stay at minimum 1.5 metres absent from other individuals. Test your state’s limitations on gathering restrictions.

Tests for coronavirus is now extensively accessible throughout Australia. If you are experiencing cold or flu indicators, organize a check by contacting your medical doctor or speak to the Coronavirus Health and fitness Information and facts Hotline on 1800 020 080.

The federal government’s coronavirus tracing app COVIDSafe is out there for down load from your phone’s app store.

SBS is fully commited to informing Australia’s various communities about the most up-to-date COVID-19 developments. Information and details is offered in 63 languages at sbs.com.au/coronavirus.



Supply website link

is SBS failing its own diversity test?


Is SBS’ employees diversity staying reflected at the most senior ranges of the broadcaster?

SBS managing director James Taylor (Image: AAP/Mick Tsikas)

A lengthy overdue conversation about racial and cultural variety is slowly but surely washing via the Australian media.

And SBS, the multicultural broadcaster, where diversity is baked into the charter, is the most up-to-date information organisation to seemingly are unsuccessful the take a look at.

Yesterday, various non-white journalists recounted experiences of racism and microaggressions at the broadcaster. An impression, which distribute like wildfire over social media, suggested an overwhelmingly white management group, a lot more proof that the country’s multicultural broadcaster may perhaps have a actual range challenge.





Resource url

NHL: League says 26 players test positive for COVID-19



A player takes the ice before a game at TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts, February 12, 2020. Mandatory Credit: Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports

June 29, 2020

NEW YORK (Reuters) – The National Hockey League (NHL) said on Monday that 26 players have tested positive for COVID-19, including 15 who reported to team facilities for “Phase 2 activities.”

Under the league’s Phase 2 plan, clubs that met safety criteria were allowed to reopen training facilities for voluntary workouts with groups of no more than six players at a time, as of June 8.

The NHL has been working toward resuming its season after it was halted in mid-March due to the coronavirus outbreak, with an expanded 24-team playoff format in two hub cities that have yet to be determined.

The NHL said that more than 250 players reported to club facilities as of Monday and had been tested more than 1,450 times for COVID-19. The league said 11 other players “outside of the Phase 2 protocol” also tested positive.

“All Players who have tested positive have been self-isolated and are following CDC and Health Canada protocols,” the NHL said.

A flurry of positive tests among athletes have dented hopes for the return of professional sport in North America. The Tampa Bay Lightning reportedly reopened its facilities last week after briefly shutting down due to positive tests among players and some staff members.

(Reporting By Amy Tennery; Editing by Christian Radnedge)





Source link

West Indies to wear Black Lives Matter logos on shirts in England Test series


The West Indies cricket team will wear “Black Lives Matter” logos on their shirts during next month’s Test series against England in a show of solidarity with the global movement.

The tourists will follow the lead of English Premier League footballers during the three-Test series, which starts at the Ageas Bowl on July 8.

Relive the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 on KAYO. Watch complete and condensed replays of the biggest matches. New to Kayo? Get your free trial now & start streaming instantly >

The move comes after the death of African-American George Floyd in US police custody last month.

The logo, which has a clenched fist in place of the letter ‘A’ in the word “Black”, was designed by Watford player Troy Deeney’s partner Alisha Hosannah.

West Indies captain Jason Holder said the team remained focused on winning the series but that there were bigger issues to address.

“This is a pivotal moment in history for sports, for the game of cricket and for the West Indies cricket team,” he said in a statement issued by Cricket West Indies.

“We have come to England to retain the Wisden Trophy but we are very conscious of happenings around the world and the fight for justice and equality.

“We believe we have a duty to show solidarity and also to help raise awareness.”

Holder said sportsmen and women could influence opinion and be a force for change.

“We did not take our decision lightly,” he said.

“We know what it is for people to make judgments because of the colour of our skin, so we know what it feels like, this goes beyond the boundary.

“There must be equality and there must be unity. Until we get that as people, we cannot stop.” Deeney said he and Hosannah were overwhelmed by the gesture.

“Alisha and I are immensely proud to be asked and take part in a monumental moment in world sport, this amazing decision by the West Indies cricket team to show their support for Black Lives Matter,” he said.

Player power was behind the Premier League’s move to put “Black Lives Matter” on the back of shirts for the first 12 games following the restart of the competition.

Footballers are also wearing the logo on their sleeves for the rest of the campaign.

West Indies head coach Phil Simmons is in self-isolation after leaving his team’s bio-secure location in Manchester for a short period of compassionate leave.

Cricket West Indies confirmed that Simmons had twice tested negative for the virus since returning on Friday, and would have another test on Wednesday before rejoining the squad.

The West Indies start a four-day warm-up match against England at Old Trafford on Monday.

Simmons attended the funeral of his father-in-law, who had died prior to the team’s recent assembly in Manchester, having been given permission by medical officials.



Source link

Three people test positive for coronavirus in SA after recently returning from India



South Australia has recorded its first new cases of coronavirus in more than a month after three recent arrivals from India, including a toddler, tested positive.

The positive tests were recorded in a three-year-old girl, a woman in her 30s and a woman in her 40s, SA Health said.

All three arrived at Adelaide Airport on a flight from Mumbai that touched down on Saturday, bringing home more than 250 Australian citizens and permanent residents.

Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the individuals had been in isolation since arriving.

“None of these people have really any symptoms at all,” she said.

Dr Spurrier said the trio posed little threat to public health, but anyone experiencing symptoms should get tested.

“The only way that I can be sure in this position that we don’t have community transmission is that people get tested,” she said.

South Australia’s last confirmed case was announced on May 26, after a woman from the United Kingdom who had been granted a travel exemption tested positive.

A subsequent positive diagnosis was not included in the state’s official tally.

The latest cases take the total number in South Australia to 443.

South Australia’s new cases come after Victoria recorded 75 new infections overnight.

Victoria’s Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said the Government was “concerned by the increasing number” and would monitor the situation very closely.

Despite the spike, South Australian Police Commissioner Grant Stevens said there was no plan to push back the July 20 date to reopen the state’s borders.

“We’re still aiming for July 20 as the date to remove all restrictions, but given the current activity in Victoria around COVID, we’ll be watching very closely,” he said.



Source link

Essendon’s Conor McKenna released from quarantine nine days after positive COVID-19 test

Essendon player Conor McKenna has been produced from quarantine by the DHHS.

McKenna examined beneficial to COVID-19 on Saturday, June 20 and was expected to invest 14 times in isolation.

He has analyzed adverse in all subsequent checks.

McKenna will do a solo coaching session on Monday just before creating his return to complete group training with his Bombers teammates on Wednesday.

The information of McKenna’s optimistic test threatened to derail the 2020 year when it was declared, but the fallout was not a sizeable as initially feared.

The DHHS dominated that James Stewart was the only other Essendon participant whose speak to with McKenna would have set him at threat, this means they ended up the only two gamers compelled into quarantine.

Stewart hardly ever returned a favourable check.

Far more to arrive.



Supply backlink

Melbourne launches new COVID-19 test amid fears of second wave


A new world-first coronavirus test will be rolled out across Melbourne’s priority suburbs amid fears a second wave of the virus will hit the state.

The saliva test, developed by scientists at Victoria’s Doherty Institute, will replace the traditional nasal swab, with an army of health crews going door-to-door with the new testing equipment today.

Premier Daniel Andrews announced last week Keilor Downs, Albanvale, Sunshine West, Maidstone, Hallam and Broadmeadows were known hot spots.

Brunswick West, Fawkner, Reservoir and Pakenham completed the top 10 list.

Royal Melbourne Hospital department of clinical microbiology Professor Deborah Williamson said the new test was a non-invasive alternative to COVID-19 testing.

“This novel diagnostic approach has been trialled in our laboratory and in labs around the world, and our work suggests this approach may be an alternative to swab testing in some settings,” she said.

“The Doherty Institute public health laboratories are pleased to work with the Victorian Government and other laboratories to assess the feasibility, acceptability and scalability of saliva testing in the community.”

Melburnians living outside the city’s hot spots can expect to receive traditional nasal swabs when being tested for coronavirus.

It follows the State Government’s stern warning yesterday suburban lockdowns were on the table as experts analyse new COVID-19 data later today.

Victoria recorded 49 new cases yesterday, an increase of eight on Saturday’s figures and the highest daily total since April 2.

Four of the new cases were linked to known outbreaks, with the source of infection still under investigation in the remaining 45.



Source link